Active Sensor Vs Passive Sensor-Difference between Active Sensor,Passive Sensor
This page compares Active Sensor Vs Passive Sensor and mentions difference between Active Sensor and Passive Sensor types.
Definition: A sensor is a device which comprises of optical component or system and a detector with electronic circuits used to record reflected and/or emitted energy from various objects.
• Active sensor emits their own EM (Electromagnetic) energy which is transmitted towards the earth and receives
energy reflected from the earth. The received EM energy is used for measurement purpose.
• Examples: communication satellite, earth observation satellite (e.g. RADARSAT-1), LISS-1 etc.
• Active sensors use their own source of energy for operation.
• Active sensors can obtain measurements anytime (Day & Night).
• Passive sensor receives naturally emitted EM energy within its field of view (FIV) and
performs measurement using it.
• Examples: remote sensing satellite, SPOT-1, LANDSAT-1 etc.
• Passive sensors rely own other sources such as sun for its operation.
• Passive sensors obtain measurements only in day time.
Different types of Sensors Related links
Article on Sensors and Transducers>>
Occupancy Sensor vs Motion Sensor
LVDT and RVDT sensor
Position, displacement and level sensor
force sensor and strain sensor