Accelerometer Sensor Vs Tilt Sensor | Difference between Accelerometer Sensor and Tilt Sensor
This page compares Accelerometer Sensor Vs Tilt Sensor and mentions difference between Accelerometer Sensor and Tilt Sensor types.
The figure-1 depicts Accelerometer schematic structure.
Following are the features of Accelerometer Sensor.
• Accelerometer sensors are available in one, two or three axis models.
• They are used to detect magnitude and direction of acceleration.
• Applications: Three axis versions are used in smartphones while two axis versions are used in cars.
• High sensitive accelerometer sensors can measure acceleration more easily compare to low sensitive ones.
• Accelerometer can be used as tilt sensor but not all tilt sensors are used as accelerometers e.g. mercury based tilt sensor can not provide measurement of acceleration.
The figure-2 depicts MEMS gyroscope used as tilt sensor.
Following are the features of Tilt Sensor.
• It is almost like a ON/OFF level switch. It just indicates that it has tilted.
• It has contact which opens when it is tilted and remains closed in no tilt condition.
• The contact does not open unless it is physically tilted.
• A tilt sensor often measures tilting in two axes of reference plane.
Different types of Sensors Related links
Article on Sensors and Transducers>>
Occupancy Sensor vs Motion Sensor
LVDT and RVDT sensor
Position, displacement and level sensor
force sensor and strain sensor