5G Security Basics | 5G Security Termination Points
This page describes 5G Security Basics. It mentions 5G security key derivation algorithm and 5G Security Termination Points.
The Wireless security is very critical due to its open air interface since its evolution. Due to this various wireless technologies such as GSM, 3G, LTE, 5G uses various security algorithms to provide robust wireless connection to the users. This page explains 5G security key derivation algorithm and key termination points in the 5G wireless architecture.
5G Security Key Derivation
The figure-1 depicts 5G security key derivation algorithm. Following table-1 mentions meanings of symbols used in the algorithm.
|K5G-NB|| • This key is derived by UE and MSM from KASME.
• It may also be derived by target 5GNB from NH at handover.
• It can be used for derivation of KRRCint, KRRCenc and KUPenc. • It can be used for derivation of K5G-NB* during handover.
|K5G-NB*||• It is derived by UE and 5G-NB from K5G-NB.
• It is used by UE and NB as new K5G-NB for the RRC as well as UP Traffic.
|KUPenc||This key is used only for protection of UP traffic with specific encryption algorithm.|
|KRRCint and KRRCenc||These keys are used for protection of RRC traffic with specific security algorithms.|
|NH||It is short form of Next Hop and is used by UE/5G-NB.|
|NCC||It is short form of Next Hop Chaining Count.|
5G Security Key Termination Points
Following are the 5G security termination points as described
in V5G.300 document.
• U-Plane Data: It is terminated in 5G Node-B (NB). Integrity protection is not required at this point.
• RRC Signaling (AS) : It is terminated in 5G Node-B (NB).
• 3GPP TS 36.300
• 3GPP TS 33.401
• TS V5G.300
Wireless Security Related Links
5G TECHNOLOGY RELATED LINKS
This 5G tutorial also covers following sub topics on the 5G technology:
5G basic tutorial
5G Frequency Bands
5G millimeter wave tutorial
5G mm wave frame
5G millimeter wave channel sounding
Difference between 4G and 5G
5G testing and test equipments
5G network architecture