5G Handover Types-UE Initiated Handover,Network Initiated Handover
This page describes 5G handover types. It covers 5G handover initiated by UE and 5G handover initiated by network or 5G NB (Node B or Base Station). This is as per specifications published from Verizon 5G TF (Technical Forum) document TS V5G.300.
Network Initiated 5G Handover
The figure-1 depicts Network Initiated 5G handover type. The figure shows messages exchanged between UE and serving NB1 (Node B#1) and target NB2 (Node B#2).
• UE receives handover information from NB1 .
• Next, UE performs quality measurements on BRSs (Beam Reference Signals) from neighbour cells.
• Once measurement event is triggered, UE sends measurement report to NB1.
• NB1 replies with handover command containing RRC connection re-configuration along with target cell NB2.
• UE completes handover with target cell NB2 by transmitting "RRC connection reconfiguration complete".
UE Initiated 5G Handover
The figure-2 depicts UE Initiated 5G handover type. The figure shows messages exchanged between UE and serving NB1 and target NB2.
• When UE receives measurement configuration from serving cell NB#1 ,
it performs quality measurements on BRSs from neighbouring cells.
• As per measurement event triggering, UE sends measurement report to serving cell NB#1.
• NB#1 responds UE with list of possible neighbouring cells to complete the handover. This is provided in message "RRC connection reconfiguration".
• NB#1 provides measurement configuration for UE to complete the handover with target NBs.
• From the list of cells, UE selects the best cell for handover using "RRC Connection Reestablishment procedure".
Reference: TS V5G.300: "Network and Signaling Working Group; Verizon 5th Generation Radio Access; Overall Description"
5G NR Control and Traffic Channels
5G TECHNOLOGY RELATED LINKS
This 5G tutorial also covers following sub topics on the 5G technology:
5G basic tutorial
5G Frequency Bands
5G millimeter wave tutorial
5G mm wave frame
5G millimeter wave channel sounding
Difference between 4G and 5G
5G testing and test equipments
5G network architecture
5G NR Physical layer
5G NR MAC layer
5G NR RLC layer