5G NR TBS vs CBG | Difference between TBS and CBG in 5G NR
This page compares 5G NR TBS (Transport Block Size) vs CBG (Code Block Group) and mentions difference between TBS (Transport Block Size) vs CBG (Code Block Group) used in 5G NR system.
• TB (Transport Block) is huge in size and hence 5G NR introduces small size units called code blocks to exploit better mechanism for reliable transmission and reception. Code blocks are grouped into code block groups (CBGs).
• CBG based transmission with single or multi bit HARQ-ACK feedback is supported. HARQ-ACK multiplexing is supported for CBG based retransmission.
TBS | Transport Block Size
• Similar to LTE system, in 5G NR also TBs are splitted into smaller size multiple CBs (Code Blocks).
• Moreover new concept of CBGs have been introduced in 5G NR in which multiple CBs are combined to form CBG (Code Block Group).
• 5G NR provides ACK/NACK for delivery of each of the data units which are CBGs after segmentation from TBS.
• CBGs are indicated using DCI formats viz. DCI format_0_1 and DCI format_1_1. Refer 5G NR DCI Formats >> and procedure for TBS calculation >> for more information.
UE procedure for grouping Code Blocks to Code Block Groups (CBGs)
• If a UE is configured to receive code block group (CBG) based transmissions by receiving
the higher layer parameter "codeBlockGroupTransmission" for PDSCH.
• 5G NR UE shall determine the number of CBGs for a transport block reception as follows.
➤ M = min(N,C)
• N = the maximum number of CBGs per transport block as configured by maxCodeBlockGroupsPerTransportBlock for PDSCH
• C = the number of code blocks in the transport block according to the procedure defined in Subclause 7.2.3 of 3GPP TS 38.212 document.
• Define M1 = mod (C,M) ; K1 = [ C/M ]; K2 = [ C/M ]
• If M1 >0, CBG m, m=0,1,.....,M1-1 consists of code blocks with indices m*K1 + k, k = 0,1,....K1-1.
• CBG m, m = M1, M1+1,......M-1, consists of code blocks with indices M1*K1 + (m-M1)*K2 + k, k = 0,1,.....,K2-1.
5G NR Numerology | 5G NR Terminology
5G NR Control channels | 5G NR Traffic Channels | 5G NR Reference Signals and sequences
5G TECHNOLOGY RELATED LINKS
This 5G tutorial also covers following sub topics on the 5G technology:
5G basic tutorial
5G Frequency Bands
5G millimeter wave tutorial
5G mm wave frame
5G millimeter wave channel sounding
Difference between 4G and 5G
5G testing and test equipments
5G network architecture
5G NR Physical layer
5G NR MAC layer
5G NR RLC layer
5G NR PDCP layer
What is Difference between
difference between FDM and OFDM
Difference between SC-FDMA and OFDM
Difference between SISO and MIMO
Difference between TDD and FDD
Difference between 802.11 standards viz.11-a,11-b,11-g and 11-n
OFDM vs OFDMA
CDMA vs GSM
Bluetooth vs zigbee
Fixed wimax vs mobile
wibro vs mobile wimax
Microcontroller vs microprocessor