5G NR QoS (Quality of Service) | 5G QoS as per 3GPP NR Standard
This page describes 5G NR QoS (Quality of Service) requirements. It mentions 5G QoS architecture as per 3GPP NR (New Radio) Standard. The benefits or advantages of the 5G QoS are also explained. It also mentions difference between 4G QoS and 5G QoS.
QoS (Quality of Service) is very essential for mission critical users and organizations for many reasons in critical situations. Though there are dedicated proprietary networks for such need, commercial networks such as 2G/3G/4G and 5G are also being used. The use of commercial networks keep investment lower.
Following are the basic requirements from mission critical users/organizations.
• Define priorities between normal users and critical users
• Define priorities between critical users and critical organizations
• Define priorities between different types of information (voice/signaling/data)
• Emergency calls should be guaranteed to be served.
• Services should be guaranteed to be available during disasters and extreme conditions
4G QoS vs 5G QoS
• 4G QoS: The concept of QoS in 4G LTE is based on bearers.
An LTE bearer is a transmission path through the infrastructure and radio interface with a defined capacity,
latency and packet loss. The tools such as ACB (Access Class Barring) , ARP (Allocation and Retention Priority)
and QCI (QoS Class Identifier) help in managing QoS in 4G LTE network. QCI has values in the range from 1 to 254.
Each of these values have three attributes viz. priority, packet delay budget and packet error loss.
Refer 4G LTE QoS>> for more information.
• 5G QoS: The concept of QoS in 5G is flow based. Packets are classified and marked using QFI (QoS Flow Identifier). The 5G QoS flows are mapped in the AN (Access Network) to DRBs (Data Radio Bearers) unlike 4G LTE where mapping is one to one between EPC and radio bearers. It supports following QoS flow types.
• GBR QoS flow, requires guaranteed flow bit rate
• Non-GBR QoS flow, does not require guaranteed flow bit rate
5G NR QoS Architecture
The figure-1 depicts 5G NR QoS architecture and various elements as defined in 3GPP TS 38.300 Release-15 published in June 2018. QoS architecture is used for both NR connected to 5GC and E-UTRA connected to 5GC.
• QoS flow is identified by QFI within PDU session. This QFI is carried in an encapsulation header over NG-U.
• For each UE, 5GC establishes one or more PDU sessions and NG-RAN establishes at least one DRB together with PDU session. Additional DRBs are configured for QoS flows of that PDU session consecutively.
• NG-RAN maps packets which belong to the different PDU sessions to different DRBs.
• NAS level packet filters in UE and in 5GC associate UL/DL packets with QoS flows. At NAS level, QoS flow is characterised by QoS profile provided by 5GC to NG-RAN and QoS rules provided by 5GC to UE.
• AS-level mapping rules in UE and in NG-RAN associate UL/DL QoS flows with DRBs. At AS (Access Stratum) level, DRB defines packet treatment on radio interface (Uu).
QoS profile of a QoS flow contains QoS parameters as mentioned below.
➤For each QoS flow: 5QI (5G QoS Identifier), ARP
➤For GBR QoS flow only: GFBR (Guaranteed Flow Bit Rate), MFBR (Maximum Flow Bit Rate) and maximum packet loss rate for both uplink and downlink.
➤For Non-GBR QoS only: Reflective QoS Attribute (RQA)
QoS characteristics consist of instance of following parameters.
• Resource Type (GBR, delay critical GBR or non-GBR)
• Priority level
• Packet Delay Budget
• Packet Error Rate
• Averaging Window
• Maximum Data Burst Volume
Benefits or advantages of 5G QoS in NR (New Radio)
Following are the benefits or advantages of 5G QoS in NR.
➤It delivers critical communication services for mission critical users/organizations.
➤It provides different prioritization levels for different applications as per users preset requirements with the operators.
➤It provides help to people during disasters and emergency situations such as floods, earthquake etc.
➤The service is always available for emergency callers.
5G NR Numerology | 5G NR Terminology
5G NR Control channels | 5G NR Traffic Channels | 5G NR Reference Signals and sequences
5G TECHNOLOGY RELATED LINKS
This 5G tutorial also covers following sub topics on the 5G technology:
5G basic tutorial
5G Frequency Bands
5G millimeter wave tutorial
5G mm wave frame
5G millimeter wave channel sounding
Difference between 4G and 5G
5G testing and test equipments
5G network architecture
5G NR Physical layer
5G NR MAC layer
5G NR RLC layer
5G NR PDCP layer
What is Difference between
difference between FDM and OFDM
Difference between SC-FDMA and OFDM
Difference between SISO and MIMO
Difference between TDD and FDD
Difference between 802.11 standards viz.11-a,11-b,11-g and 11-n
OFDM vs OFDMA
CDMA vs GSM
Bluetooth vs zigbee
Fixed wimax vs mobile
wibro vs mobile wimax
Microcontroller vs microprocessor