5G NR PRACH | contents, function, physical layer processing
This page covers 5G NR PRACH function, 5G NR PRACH contents, mapping and physical layer processing of 5G NR PRACH (Physical Random Access Channel).
5G NR PRACH function, contents and mapping
• PRACH is used to carry random access preamble from UE towards gNB (i.e. 5G NR base station).
• It helps gNB to adjust uplink timings of the UE in addition to other parameters.
• Zadoff chu sequences are used to generate 5G NR random access preamble similar to LTE technology.
• Unlike LTE, 5G NR random access preamble supports two different sequence lengths with various format configurations as shown in the figure. The different formats help in wide deployment scenarios.
The 839 long sequence uses four preamble formats like LTE. These formats are designed for large cell deployment in FR1 (Sub-6 GHz range). They use subcarrier spacing of 1.25 KHz or 5 KHz.
The 139 short sequence uses nine preamble formats. These formats are designed for small cell deployment including indoor coverage. These preamble formats are used for both FR1 (sub-6 GHz) and FR2 (mmwave) ranges. In FR1, it supports 15 or 30 KHz where as in FR2, it supports 60 or 120 KHz. subcarrier spacing.
5G NR PRACH physical layer processing
• PRACH uses same FFT as used for data.
• OFDM baseband signal generation for PRACH is defined in 3GPP TS 38.211 section 5.3.2.
• Engineers often come across situations (test cases) in which UE does not receive response from gNB for the PRACH message transmitted by it. During such scenario, they need to analyze the test case with respect to various layers such as radio link, physical layer (L1) and last upper layer messages. This helps them find root cause of the problem.
5G NR Control and Traffic Channels
5G TECHNOLOGY RELATED LINKS
This 5G tutorial also covers following sub topics on the 5G technology:
5G basic tutorial
5G Frequency Bands
5G millimeter wave tutorial
5G mm wave frame
5G millimeter wave channel sounding
Difference between 4G and 5G
5G testing and test equipments
5G network architecture
5G NR Physical layer
What is Difference between
difference between FDM and OFDM
Difference between SC-FDMA and OFDM
Difference between SISO and MIMO
Difference between TDD and FDD
Difference between 802.11 standards viz.11-a,11-b,11-g and 11-n
OFDM vs OFDMA
CDMA vs GSM
Bluetooth vs zigbee
Fixed wimax vs mobile
wibro vs mobile wimax
Microcontroller vs microprocessor