Difference between Resonant metamaterial and non resonant metamaterial | Resonant metamaterial Vs non resonant metamaterial
This page compares Resonant metamaterial vs non resonant metamaterial and mentions difference between Resonant metamaterial and non resonant metamaterial.
The materials having following properties are known as metamaterials.
• negative index of refraction (n)
• ε<0, μ<0. as shown by third quadrant in the figure-1 below.
• imaging beyond Abbe's diffraction limit of λ/2
The metamaterials are of two types viz. resonant metamaterials and non resonant metamaterials. Refer What are metamaterials>>.
Following are the features of resonant materials.
• Period is approximately λ/10
• Oscillating currents in the conductors emulate atomic resonances
• Example: left handed metamaterials
• refractive index less than one
Non resonant Materials
Following are the features of non resonant materials.
• Period can be much less than λ
• No current oscillates or no wave scatters in non resonant materials.
• greater tolerance to structural de-formations.
• Few magical properties compare to resonant metamaterials
• Examples: anisotropic metamaterials, hyperbolic metamaterials