What is Wirepas technology-Features,applications of Wirepas
This page describes Wirepas technology basics including features. It mentions Wirepas applications and benefits of Wirepas technology.
Wirepas Connectivity is mesh network which uses de-centralized radio protocol stack irrespective of any hardware and any radio frequency chip. It has been developed at TUT (Tampere University of Technology) at Finland after 10 years of research. Currently Wirepas Ltd. is headquartered in Tampere and has offices in different parts of the world including UK and USA. Software license is required to be obtained for products before shipment. The figure-1 depicts typical wirepas network based on mesh topology.
Features of Wirepas technology
• Wirepas supports 2.4 GHz ISM and sub-GHz bands.
2.4 GHz band is supported globally in which high density installations such as
indoor lighting control where Low latency is essential or WSN where long life is important are supported.
Regional sub GHz bands are targeted for longer range and sparser installations such as
outer lighting control and metering.
• The different devices communicate using different channels simultaneously. Wirepas supports mains powered and battery powered devices.
• More than 1000 radios per cubic meter without collisions are supported in wirepas mesh network.
• Devices are capable to select best neighbours, optimal transmit powers and most reliable channels. Hence central management of the network is not needed and it is easy to scale the network.
• All the devices are capable to route packets as all devices are homogeneous from connection point of view. They form the network themselves and no planning of network needed.
• Wirepas supports multi-gateway in order to avoid single point of failure at gateway level.
The figure-2 depicts Wirepas protocol stack.
Applications Wirepas technology
Wirepas technology is widely used across industries, utilities and logistics for
• It is targeted for IoT applications which require high scalability and high reliability.
• Lighting requiring lower latencies
• Beacons and sensors requiring longer battery life
• Electricity meters and water meters requiring longer device to device coverage range
• Asset management and tracking
• Monitoring and control of machines from one place
➨It is application, hardware and frequency band agnostic.
➨It uses embedded protocol stack with low memory footprint.
➨It supports efficient collision free usage of the frequency spectrum
➨The wirepas devices offer Low power consumption.
➨The network delivers low latency.
➨High reliability & availability everywhere
➨Unlimited scale coverage and density
➨Flexibility for use in various applications
➨Supports different frequency bands
➨Supports different radio data rates and ranges
➨Lowest total cost of ownership