Tracking Radar Basics and operation
This page covers basics of Tracking radar including its operation.It also mentions types of tracking radar.
The radar which detects target and determines location as well as predict its trajectory path is known as tracking radar. The figure-1 below mentions block diagram of simple tracking radar.
• As shown tracking operation in the radar depends upon angular information.
very narrow antenna beam is used here which will track one target object at one time.
This can be performed using range gating and doppler filtering module.
• Range tracking is carried out using timing control unit. Doppler tracking is carried out using doppler gating unit.
• The angle error signal is provided as input for servo motor based control system. This servo system will steer the antenna as per error input and hence will track the target.
Tracking Radar Types
Following are the types of tracking radar:
• STT Radar (Single Target Tracking Radar)
• ADT Radar (Automatic Detection and Tracking Radar)
• TWS Radar (Track While Scan Radar)
• Angle Tracking Radar
• Phased Array Tracking Radar
• Monopulse Tracking Radar