Advantages of Verbal Communication | Disadvantages of Verbal Communication
This page covers advantages and disadvantages of Verbal Communication. It mentions Verbal Communication advantages and Verbal Communication disadvantages.
Following are the types of communication used by people.
• Written communication - formal, informal
• Verbal communication - formal, informal
• Non verbal communication
• Paralingual communication: It is the tone and pitch of your voice when you are talking to people.
• Formal Verbal examples include Presentations, speeches etc.
• Informal Verbal examples include conversations, Meetings etc.
• Nonverbal communication examples include gestures, physical appearance, facial expressions while communicating the message.
Advantages of Verbal Communication
Following are the advantages of Verbal Communication:
➨It saves time in communication.
➨It is quick in obtaining feedback once delivered.
➨It provides complete understanding of communication delivered and there is chance to make it more clear in case of doubts in interpretation of words or ideas.
➨It is more reliable method of communication.
➨It is flexible and effective for all.
➨It is powerful means of persuation and control.
➨It is cheaper way of communication and hence saves money.
Disadvantages of Verbal Communication
Following are the disadvantages of Verbal Communication:
➨Emotions are visible and hence leads to trouble in certain cases.
➨It has no legal validity and hence will lead to problems in certain situations.
➨It does not provide permanent record unless it is recorded with modern means of storage.
➨It has issues when communicating with distant people.
➨It is difficult for certain people to understand speech due to various speech tones used in verbal communication.
➨This form of communication is not suitable for lengthy message.
➨There is chance of leak of secret information with the help of modern devices such as polygraph or lie detector. Often secret information can be obtained while the person is under the influence of alcohol.