Advantages of Facebook | disadvantages of Facebook
This page covers advantages and disadvantages of Facebook. It mentions Facebook advantages or benefits and Facebook disadvantages or drawbacks.
What is Facebook?
• Facebook is social networking website similar to twitter, Linkedin etc. It can be used as application or web page.
• It allows people to communicate, share documents/photos/multimedia files, make friends and so on.
• Facebook messanger is an instant messanging service/application which can be downloaded and installed on mobile and desktop devices. It allows text and video chat service for free.
• There are various features of facebook. News Feed has been recently added which highlights information such as profile changes, events, birthdays and so on.
• It allows to create specific groups in which like minded people can join and discuss or share their views or works.
• Facebook can also be used for marketing purpose by posting advertisements.
The figure-1 depicts home page of facebook after user makes login to the web page. There is quick help on the top right side for beginners to the facebook.
Benefits or advantages of Facebook
Following are the benefits or advantages of Facebook:
➨You can connect to the world and get all the information by just signing up on it.
➨You can find and invite your friends to connect.
➨You can share each and every moment of your personal life with all your contacts.
➨It provides an interface where you can chat with all the people you know.
➨Business promotion is one of the biggest advantages of facebook. You can advertise your business on fan pages and through Advertisements.
➨You can entertain yourself on Facebook as it provides games to play with friends and family members.
➨The best part of Facebook is that it is free of cost and that you don't need to pay for the services available to you. The exception is paid advertisement and paid promotion.
➨You can create one or many groups pertaining to particular topic and invite your contacts to be member of the same. This allows other facebook users to also join the group. This provides platform for the like minded people to discuss and share their views. The group members can post queries and also provide answer to queries of the others.
➨It has messenger utility which can be installed on the mobile phones to have quick access compare to web page.
Drawbacks or disadvantages of Facebook
Following are the drawbacks or disadvantages of Facebook:
➨A person can get addicted to Facebook in no time.
➨Some people can create fake accounts which results into harassment and abuse.
➨Hackers are now using facebook who send scams which can retrieve all your personal data.
➨You can not hide your personal details as it is viewed by all the people even if he/she is not your relative.
➨Some people create groups in order to abuse people or personalities considering their relgion or Caste.
➨Addiction by childrens lead to poor academic results.
Conclusion: Though there are few drawbacks of facebook, there are immense benefits of facebook.
The drawbacks can be overcome by careful attention and proper usage of the facebook.
Few suggestions are as follows.
• Do not allow childrens to use it as facebook also requires everyone to be at least 13 years old before they can create an account (in some jurisdictions, this age limit may be higher).
• Moreover keep your profile very generic and do not keep sensitive data.
• Do not share your number with strangers and make friends to whom you already know.
• Delete or deny the irrelevant posts or comments from your group if you are the admin or moderator of the group.